Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Lifeguards Are Sometimes Jerks

I went to the beach to go swim in the sea
“You can’t swim,” said the lifeguard. “You don’t have a key.”
“There’s no key to the sea!” I responded with rage
But that second he pushed me inside of a cage.
“If you’re clever enough,” he said then, “to get free
Then you’re too smart to drown, and that’s less work for me.”
“Are you kidding?” I said. “Is this some kind of joke?”
“Nope, not really,” he said, and he sipped on his Coke.
Well, I’d come there with nothing, except for my clothes
What was I s’posed to do? Pick the lock with my toes?
“Come on, lifeguard!” I said. “Why ya doin’ this crap?”
“Cause I dig it,” he told me. “Now shut ya damn trap.”
So I waited all day in that stupid locked cage
With my skin turning pink from both sunburn and rage
And when night fell I said, “Man, I’ve had it! No more!”
And the lifeguard said, “Fine, dude. But first, sweep the floor.”
“Oh, now I’m your slave?” I said. “Isn’t that grand!”
But I looked then and saw: I was standing on sand.