Thursday, June 18, 2015

Bears

You and me, we once were bears
And bears we once-time were
We both had claws and pointy teeth
And thick, protective fur.
I tugged and pinched your fuzzy fur
And asked you to be mine
With rat bones, leaves and squirrel guts
I made a Valentine.
You said, “How sweet! A Valentine!”
It sounded like, “Rarr-rurrrr.”
And how I trembled when you tugged
And pinched my fuzzy fur.
We made sweet, bearish love in caves
And hunted fish in streams
We slept together, paws held tight
And met again in dreams.
And when the winter came we slept
The cold was sharp as pins
And when we woke, we were not bears
But Homo sapiens.
We went into the city then
And each obtained a job
You changed your name to Susan Beth
I changed my name to Bob.
We don't have caves for making love
Just mattress-on-the-floor
We don’t snatch fish from raging streams
Just buy it from the store.
And we don't tug or pinch too much
Because we don't have fur
But you and me, we once were bears
And bears we once-time were.