Monday, August 21, 2017

Three Poems about the Eclipse

Eclipse, day. Eclipse, night.
Eclipse blurs boundaries between day and night.
Eclipse, hi. Eclipse, why.
I know something about your wily ways.
Eclipse, when. Eclipse, you.
You haven't had enough tomato sauce.
Eclipse, one. Eclipse, disaster.
Where did you put your clean knickers?
Eclipse, friends. Eclipse, not-friends.
The Great Betrayal.

Eclipse has many sides, for example
You could be a scientist and want the eclipse
to be for your experiments or
You could be a poet and want the eclipse
to give you a glimpse of cosmic beauty or
You could be a child with parents who neglect to buy you a pair of glasses and you burn holes through your retinas--yow!

When I went out to see the eclipse, it was cloudy and I saw only clouds
Other people: 'wow!' 'amazing!' 'totally worth it!' plus Instagram posts of them in their eclipse-glasses
pangs of wishing this cosmic line-up would align my mind with purpose--if only I had been there! but of course, if I had been there, it would have been a different me, there would have been a glitch in the web of all time, a pig staring at the web would have noticed the glitch and whined, all animals would suffer from an instant-knowing-they-were-about-to-be-killed-right-as-they-were-about-to-be-killed but wait, do they have that anyway?