Wednesday, January 15, 2014

It's What's On The Inside That Counts

Inside my skin, I’m pretty sure
There’s nothing pretty or demure
My uterus, I must confess
Has never worn a cocktail dress
My large intestine doesn’t groom
My kidneys never wear perfume
There is no makeup on my spleen
And if you happen to have seen
My bladder, then you’ll be aware
It sports no curled and blow-dried hair
I'm not like that, I'm not that vain
I don’t put brain-rings on my brain
Nor do I ever take the pains
To put nail polish on my veins
My cervix has no fancy hat
There are no sparkles in my fat
My lymph nodes have no frills or bows
My lungs don't wear designer clothes
And my appendix owns no pair
Of heels or frilly underwear
I'm also pretty sure my heart
Does not look stylish, chic, or smart
I know we’re living in a world
Where all is painted, primped and curled
And I might hear a few ‘tut-tuts’
Because I don't adorn my guts
But let them gossip, let them scoff
I’m loud and proud; I’ll shrug it off!
I'll…what? You say it isn’t rare
For one to leave one’s insides bare?
My words will earn no social clout?
I’ve nothing to be proud about?
The fact is I’d be more unique
If all my guts were groomed and sleek?
Oh. In that case then I guess
I’d like a uterus cocktail dress.