Monday, August 5, 2013

Zombies Can Be Picky

I sat atop a gravestone
In a night as black as soot
When the fingers of a zombie
Grabbed me tight around the foot.
“Get off, you zombie freak!” I screamed
Your fingers really hurt!”
But the zombie kept his grip
And pulled me down into the dirt.
He bit me in the neck
Which sparked a lightning bolt of pain
Then he offered me a sandwich
He called “bacon, egg and brain.”
The sandwich was delicious
And the bite was soon forgotten
I hardly even noticed that my skin
Looked green and rotten.
I asked, “Another sandwich, please?
This time on whole-wheat bread.”
But the zombie said: “We’re out of brains…
We’ll need some from your head!”
“Zombies don’t eat each other’s brains!”
I said, but he said, “Lies!”
So we attacked each other’s skulls
Both fighting for our lives.
He tried to tear my head apart
With his long fingernails
But soon the graveyard watchman
Heard our scuffling and our wails.
“What’s all the ruckus?” watchman asked
“We’re zombies,” I explained
“We’re hungry for a sandwich
But we want each other’s brains.”
“The moment I've been waiting for!”
The graveyard watchman cried
“I’ve developed artificial brain…
Would you two like to try?
It’s made with starch and processed soy
It’s great to eat with chips!
I made it to prevent
The living dead apocalypse!”
We thought at first the graveyard watchman
Must have been insane
But then he let us try
A slice of artificial brain.
It had the same pink wrinkly grooves
And fatty, chewy feel
In fact, it was more tasty than
My first cerebral meal.
“Do you have more?” we asked the man
And he said, “Yes, indeed!
If there’s one thing true of zombies
It’s how much they love to feed!”
Turned out the graveyard watchman
Had twelve buckets of the stuff
“Eat up, my zombies!” he announced
“I'm sure there'll be enough!”
We ate the brains, but we weren't full
The watchman wasn't right
Twelve buckets of the brains
Could not defeat our appetite.
“Wait, wait! I’ll make some more!” he said
But it was far too late
Next thing we knew, we had
The watchman’s brains upon a plate.
Which goes to show that though
You can make good things out of soy
A brain’s a brain
Sometimes you just can’t beat the real McCoy.