Sunday, December 29, 2013

It Is Neither Precious Nor Semi-Precious to Be Buried Alive in Jewels

I’m lost inside a pile of gems
I’m clawing through diamonds and quartz
I’m trapped in this heap of mineral stones
And sparkly rocks of all sorts.
I’m trying to leave to come find you
I’ve been digging for over two years
But whenever I break off an emerald
A sapphire or ruby appears.
I miss you, I love you, I need you
I’m trying to be by your side
But I fear that this glittery prison
Is impossibly dense, deep and wide.
I wonder if you’re also digging
Through amethysts, topaz and onyx
Or maybe your heap isn’t gemstones
But car parts or used electronics.
When I first found myself in this gem heap
I thought: Hidden treasure! What luck!
Turns out that it’s not really treasure
When it’s something in which you are stuck.
I hope that I find you, my dear one
And maybe one day we’ll be married
But if I am crushed first by diamonds
At least I'll be stylishly buried.